Due to current coronation measures, the catering facilities within Dutch National Opera & Ballet are only allowed to be open until 8 pm. For performances in the evening, the bars are only open before curtain-up until 8 pm. The bars are closed during the intermission and after the performance.
The bar offers speciality coffees and teas, organic juices and various snacks.
For groups, tailored programmes and events please click the button below.
Situated in the heart of Amsterdam, the iconic theatre of Dutch National Opera & Ballet offers a magnificent view of the Amstel River and the famous 'Magere Brug'. The various spaces form an inspiring backdrop for a whole range of special events.
The theatre offers various options for a unique evening out. You can take your guests to one of our many performances and enjoy a reception, interval, drinks or dinner arrangement.
There are 5 bars in the foyer: 3 bars at auditorium level, one bar on the 1st balcony and one bar on the 2nd balcony.
All bars have the same standard range of drinks and food. There are also some exceptions:
- Special wines by the glass and special champagnes by the bottle are only available from the bar in the middle at theatre level.
- Food items are limited in stock per performance. Therefore, it may happen that some items are sold out.
For our products we work together with suppliers such as patisserie Kuyt, nuts from Gotje, coffee biscuits from Farm Brothers, Gulpener Beer, coffee and tea from Douwe Egberts and soft drinks from Coca Cola.
Ordering food and drinks in advance
Please note! Due to the current corona measures, the catering facilities in Dutch National Opera & Ballet are allowed to be open until 8 pm. For evening performances, it is only possible to order products that are consumed before curtain-up.
No queue! Your drinks and food are already prepared.
You can order your food and drinks for the performance in advance, at home, at work or on the road. We will then ensure that the products you have ordered are ready and waiting for you at the bar you have specified before the performance. You then no longer have to queue up. You can order in advance up to 5 hours before the start of the performance for evening performances; for matinee performances up to 10 p.m. on the evening before the performance. You can order online via the link below:
In the foyer you can pay with PIN, Credit card (Mastercard and Visa).
Tips for shortening your waiting time during the intermission
In a full auditorium with 1600 visitors, most of the guests go to the bar all at once, causing crowds and queues at the bars. Some tips to reduce your waiting time:
- Pay contactless with your PIN card. This is the fastest form of payment, keeping queues as short as possible during intermissions.
- At the bar, some queues are faster than others. So look around you and switch to the shorter queue.
- You can also choose not to join the queue at the bar during the intermission. Our intermissions are approximately 25 minutes. There is plenty of time to do something else first and not go to the bar until after 10 minutes.
- Ordering in advance prevents you from waiting in the queue during the break. See ‘Ordering food and drinks in advance’
The foyer is open after each performance so that you can enjoy the aftermath and have a chat. The bar at the main entrance is open until 30 minutes after the performance.
Most of the products we offer are made from sustainable ingredients and have an EKO quality mark and/or a comparable international quality mark, such as Douwe Egberts coffee, Schulp organic juices, Gulpener Limburgs Land beer.