2 Sep 2023
Dutch National Opera & Ballet, Theatre & Production Workshop
11:00 - 16:00
Festive opening to the season
On Saturday 2 September 2023, Dutch National Opera & Ballet will open its doors! Everyone—young or old, experienced theatregoers or first-time visitors—is welcome, and entrance is free.
Discover the magical world of Dutch National Opera & Ballet! Our diverse programme encompasses performances, exhibitions, workshops and a tour of our studios.
Photo: Liza Kollau
Open House 2023 | What is there to do?
We will open our doors for the first time in four years, welcoming you at the main entrance on the square or Production Workshop without requiring prior registration.
Walk in and discover both the front and backstage worlds, learn about the crafts of costume, hat, wig and prop making, and enjoy performances by Dutch National Opera Studio, the Chorus of Dutch National Opera and Dutch National Ballet.
There are activities tailored for children, but you can also explore the theatre together or take a guided tour in the production workshop. Our staff will be available to answer all your questions in our workshops and studios.
In summary, there will be something for everyone. Ensure you arrive on time to make the most of your visit.
Open House Dutch National Opera & Ballet
2 September 2023
Amstel 3, Amsterdam
Kollenbergweg 1, Amsterdam
Doors open: 11:00 am
Ends: 04:00 pm
There will be a bus to bring you from the theatre to the production workshop and back. Free tickets for this bus can be collected at the information desk in the foyer of Dutch National Opera & Ballet.
Theatre > production workshop: 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 01:30 pm, and 02:30 pm
Production workshop > theatre: 01:00 pm, 02:00 pm, 03:00 pm, and 04:00 pm
Open House 2023
The Open House is free to attend. There is no need to reserve tickets for this event.
Activities, presentations and workshops
- 11:15 – 11:45 a.m. | Dance-along with Dutch National Ballet | Main Stage
Join a ballet class taught by a DNB ballet master
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. | Opera for bathroom singers | Ground floor foyer
Discover your singing talent!
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. | Opera heroes singing workshop (6+) | Studio 1
Join the sing-along!
- 11:50 – 12 noon | General director Stijn Schoonderwoerd interviews... | Main Stage
Sustainability Coordinator Julie Fuchs
- 12 noon – 12:30 p.m. | Sing-along with the Dutch National Opera Chorus | Main Stage
Join the chorus on the Main Stage
- 12:30 – 12:45 p.m. | Performance by Dutch National Opera Studio | Main Stage
Watch young opera talents show off their skills
- 12:30 – 13:15 p.m. (doors open 12:15 p.m.) | Public rehearsal by Junior Company | Souterrain
See what a professional ballet rehearsal is like (please reserve your place at the information desk in the lobby)
- 12:30 – 13:15 p.m. | Nieuw Vocaal Amsterdam Workshop (6+) | Studio 1
Join the sing-along with Dutch National Opera’s regular children’s chorus!
- 12:50 – 13:00 p.m. | Sneak preview of The Theory of Everything | Main Stage
Join a spoken-word performance and an interview with the creators
- 13:00 – 13:30 p.m. | Dutch National Ballet rehearsal of Frank Bridge Variations | Main Stage
Watch our ballet dancers rehearse one of the master choreographer Hans van Manen’s finest works
- 13:35 – 13:45 p.m. | General director Stijn Schoonderwoerd interviews... | Main Stage
Annette Stiller, head of our Wigs & Make-Up Department
- 13:45 – 14:00 p.m. | Public set change | Main Stage
Watch a set change as it happens
- 14:00 – 16:00 p.m. | Open stage | Main Stage
Walk around the main stage and learn more about stagecraft
- 14:00 – 16:00 p.m. | Sound garden | Orchestra pit
See the theatre from the orchestra pit and play an instrument
- 14:00 – 14:15 p.m. | Dance workshop for children (6+) | Studio 1
Join the dance-along!
- 14:30 – 15:30 p.m. (doors open 14:15 p.m.) | Presentation of Choreographic Academy | Souterrain
Watch the Junior Company dance new works created by young choreographers (please reserve your place at the information desk in the lobby)
- 15:00 – 15:45 p.m. | Dance workshop for children (6+) | Studio 1
Join the dance-along!
Guided stage tours (Theatre, Amstel 3)
Discover the technical secrets of our theatre. Our experienced lighting, sound and stagecraft teams will show you around backstage where visitors aren’t usually welcome. They’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
The minimum age for participants in our guided stage tours is 12 years. Unfortunately, these tours are not suitable for those with walking difficulties.
The number of spots on each guided tour is limited. Please reserve your place at the information desk in the lobby. Tickets can be reserved from 15 minutes before the start of each tour. The tours will start exactly on time, so make sure you’re on time.
Meeting point for guided tours
Information desk in the lobby.
- Starting times guided tours: 11:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, 12:30, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:00 p.m.
Guided tours Production Workshop (Kollenbergweg 1)
Visit the Dutch National Opera & Ballet’s Production Workshop and learn more about the technical aspects of our set designs. A shuttle bus will take you from the theatre building to the Production Workshop, where one of our people will give you a guided tour. After the tour, the shuttle bus will take you back to the theatre.
Shuttle bus stop
Bus stop on the square in front of the theatre. Important! Please get your ticket from the information desk in the lobby before you take the bus. Places are limited; tickets are first come first serve!
Shuttle bus departures
Starting from 11:30 a.m., a bus will depart from the theatre building and the Production Workshop every hour. The last bus from the theatre building will leave at 2:30 p.m.; the last bus from the Production Workshop is at 4 p.m. The trip takes about 30 minutes.
The tour takes about an hour.
- Starting times guided tours: 12:00 noon, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 p.m.