Assistant ballet master
As a young boy, Marijn Rademaker (1981, Nijmegen, The Netherlands) was talented at sports, and played football and tennis. Eventually, his parents enrolled him in ballet lessons, as he was always dancing around the living room. Following his training at the National Ballet Academy in Amsterdam and ArtEZ Institute of the Arts in Arnhem, he graduated from the dance course of the Royal Conservatoire in The Hague in 2000. On graduating, he joined Stuttgarter Ballett, where he was promoted to principal in 2006 after his highly successful debut as Armand in The Lady of the Camellias. Marijn has danced leading roles in nearly all the big classical ballets as Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutracker, Don Quijote, Giselle and La Sylphide. He worked together with many choreographers creating new work such as Wayne McGregor (Eden Eden, Yantra, Nautilus), Marco Goecke (Äffi, On Velvet), Mauro Bigonzetti (I Fratelli), Christian Spuck (Songs, Lulu, eine Monstretragödie, Der Sandmann, Sleepers Chamber, Das Fräulein von S.) and others. In 2011, Marijn made his debut as a guest artist with Dutch National Ballet as Prince Florimund in The Sleeping Beauty. Since January 2015 he is principal at Dutch National Ballet. He also workes with the Dutch National Ballet's junior company and main company as a balletmaster. In 2016 he set Marco Goecke’s Äffi with the Bundesjugendballett at the Hamburg Ballet. In June 2015 he became an ambassador for Dance4Life.
In 1999, Marijn won an incentive award from the Dansersfonds ’79, and the fund also awarded him the Special Prize in 2012. He is also the winner of Der Faust (2006, for the best dancer in Germany), the Deutscher Tanzpreis (2009, Future Award) and the Premio Apuli Arte Prize (2009, Merit Award). In 2010, the leading dance magazine Dance Europe voted him one of the ‘Outstanding Dancers’ of the 2009/2010 season.
Due to a recurring knee injury, Marijn decided to end his dance career. Marijn will remain with the Dutch National Ballet as assistant ballet master.
- With Dutch National Ballet: 2015
- Place of birth: Nijmegen (The Netherlands)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Prinicpel (January, 2015)
- Previously danced with : Stuttgarter Ballett (Duitsland)
- Education: Nationale Balletacademie/Hogeschool voor de Kunsten (Amsterdam, The Netherlands), ArtEZ Hogeschool voor de Kunsten (Arnhem, The Netherlands), Royal Conservatoire (The Hague, The Netherlands)
- Awards: 2010, Dance Europe (Outstanding Dancer 2009-2010) 2009, Premio Apuli Arte (Merit Award), Italy) 2009, Deutsche Tanzpreis (Future Award, Germany) 2006, De Faust (best dancer in Germany) 1999, Meri Award Dansersfonds '79 (The Netherlands)
“A knockout. The Stuttgart principal is excellent.”
“Luminous in his musicality, outstanding.”
“Der international erfolgreichste Solist des Stuttgarter Balletts. Feinliedrig gebaut, elegant in der Halting, gekront vom hellsten Blond: Der Hollander ist der geborene Balletprinz.”
“Elegant and blond, cool and controlled, an angel. The arms are expressive, musical and masculine. The body has almost perfect proportions. “