Young Gyu Choi
The South Korean Young Gye Choi has been with Dutch National Ballet since 2011. He began in the corps the ballet and worked his way up to the rank of principal in five years time. In December 2015, after his debut as the prince in Nutcracker and Muizenkoning, he was promoted to the first soloist
He has danced with the Korea National Ballet and Universal Ballet in Seoul. Young started his training at the age of eight, and was trained at the Sunhwa Arts School in Seoul and the Tanz Akademie Zürich from 2006 - 2008 (Switzerland).
In 2006, Young participated in the International Ballet Competition in Varna and came in second; four years later, in 2010, he entered the competition again and won the first prize. That same year, he also came in first in the Boston International Competition. In 2007 he won the first prize in the Youth America Grand Prix in New York. In 2010 he also won first prize at the Boston International Competition.
- With Dutch National Ballet since: 2011
- Place of birth: Seoul (South Korea)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Principal (2016), Soloist (2013), coryphée (2013), corps de ballet (2011)
- Previously danced with: Korean National Ballet (Seoul, South Korea), Universal Ballet (Seoul, South Korea)
- Training: Sunhwa Arts School (Seoul, South Korea), Tanz Akademie Zürich (Zürich, Switzerland)
- Awards: 2010, Boston International Competition, 1st; 2010, Ballet Competition (Varna, Bulgaria), 1st; 2007, Youth America Grand Prix (New York City, United States), 1st