Italian dancer Vito Mazzeo was born in Vibo Valentia, Calabria (Italy), and trained at the La Scala Theatre Ballet School in Milan where he graduated with full marks in classical and contemporary, the only one in two hundreds years history of the school. He danced with The Royal Ballet, the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma and San Francisco Ballet, where he joined as a soloist and was promoted to principal within six months. In San Francisco, he was the regular star partner of former Dutch National Ballet principal Sofiane Sylve. Vito’s transition to the Dutch National Ballet was prompted by his admiration for the company’s varied repertoire and particularly by his fascination for the work of Hans van Manen. Vito is the winner of the Premio Postiano Léonide Massine and the Danza&Danza award for ‘best dancer of the year’ and a guest artist with Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, The Hong Kong Ballet and Arena di Verona.
During the Season 2014/15 he created a group of dancers from Het Nationale Ballet called ‘Vito Mazzeo & Solisti Het’ to tour around Italy presenting all the great Dutch choreographies for the first time in Italy. In 2016 Vito has received the Premio Valore, the award for an exceptional dance achievement, for his interpretation of the role of Le Père Laurence in the production Roméo et Juliette by the German choreographer Sasha Waltz. Vito Mazzeo danced this role in the first joint production in the history of Dutch National Ballet and Dutch National Opera.
- With the Dutch National Ballet since: 2013
- Place of birth: Vibo Valentia (Italy)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Principal (2013)
- Previously danced with: San Francisco Ballet (San Francisco, United States), Teatro dell’Opera di Roma (Rome, Italy), The Royal Ballet (London, United Kingdom)
- Training: La Scala Theatre Ballet School (Milano, Italy)
- Awards: 2010, Leonide Massine Award (Rome, Italy), Best Italian Dancer 2009-2010, Danza&Danza Award (Palermo, Italy), Best Dancer of the year 2016 Premio Valore, the award for an exceptional dance achievement: Le Père Laurence in Roméo et Juliette