Maia Makhateli (Tbilisi, Georgia) comes from a real dance family. Her father runs a ballet school in the United States and her brother used to be a principal with The Royal Ballet in England. Maia began her dance training at the Choreographic Institute of Vakhtang Chabukiani in her hometown. In 2002 Maia and her parents moved to the United Stated where she finished her study at the Colorado Ballet. In 2005, she switched to the Birmingham Royal Ballet, but she found England ‘too cold and grey’ and auditioned for the Dutch National Ballet, where she started as a grand sujet in 2007. In 2009, she was promoted to soloist and a year later to principal. Maia has won several ballet awards in the United States. In her homeland Georgia, in 2011, she received the Nina Ananiashvili & Gilbert Albert Star Award, which was established by the Georgian prima ballerina Nina Ananiashvili and a Swiss jeweller.
- With the Dutch National Ballet since: 2007
- Place of birth: Tbilisi (Georgia)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Principal (2010), soloist (2009), grand sujet (2007)
- Previously danced with: Colorado Ballet (Denver, United States), Birmingham Royal Ballet (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- Training: Tbilisi Choreographic Institute of Cabukiani (Tbilisi, Georgia)
- Awards: 2015, Alexandra Radius Award 2011, Nina Ananiashvili & Gilbert Star Award (Georgia) 2002, Youth American Grand Prix 2002 (New York City, United States), finalist 2002, Denver Ballet Guild's Young Dancer’s competition (United States), 1st 2002, Youth America Grand Prix Competition (Denver, United States), 2nd 2001, Chabukiani-Balanchine International Ballet Competition 2001, Internationae Ballet Festival, ‘diplomat’ (Kazan, Russia)